Sunday, July 31, 2011

Grading standards and linear algebra blogging

I have a short update today.  Enjoy the relief from my usual cavalcade of verbiage

Thanks to our Chief Academic Officer, I just saw the article College-Wide Grading Standards on the Foundation for Critical Thinking website.  The article described almost exactly what I was planning to post for part 2 of my series on assigning grades.  Instead of posting part 2 of my series, I will modify my entry to incorporate this excellent resource.

The article provides the qualitative descriptions of grades A through F, so my current plan is to discuss the differences in each grade category.  I hope to report on my results of developing an operational grading strategy based on these standards.

In other news, I've decided that my Linear Algebra course next semester will include a requirement that students create a blog of their learning progress in lieu of turning in homework problems.  I will still provide homework problems for the students to work on, but they will blog their progress instead of turn their solutions in for a grade.

All that and much more is forthcoming, so don't touch that dial.

No comments:

Post a Comment